Monday, August 17, 2009

~ Don't Change for Anyone ~



I DO MY THING AND YOU DO YOUR THING. I AM NOT IN THIS WORLD TO LIVE UP TO YOUR EXPECTATIONS AND YOU ARE NOT HERE TO LIVE UP TO MINE. YOU ARE YOU, AND I AM I, AND IF BY SOME CHANCE WE FIND EACH OTHER.
ITS Beautiful ♥

We're constantly told in life, time and time again, “Don’t change for anyone.” It’s easy sometimes to conform, to see what you think you are supposed to be, and you change. Take us girls for example; independent, know exactly who we are and then BAM! We meet a guy. We lose ourselves, and start becoming the girl, that we think this guy may want us to be. An iPod that was once full of Brittany Spears, Norah Jones, and 80’s starts slowly changing to Rock, Indie music, or artists you have never heard of because that is what the new guy listens too. Having an open mind to music is great, and having an eclectic taste for music is even better. However, changing your taste only because you want him to think that you both happen to like the SAME music is not good because it’s not fully you. If he is going to not like you or be open minded about you because you happen to like the “typical” girl music, then you don’t want him. Really you don’t. You’re TiVo list now consists of ESPN Sports center, Jesse James on Spike TV, or whatever shows you watch with him (missing your favorite show). Either of those might not seem like a big deal, but they are. You shouldn’t change your interests or what you enjoy out of life just because someone comes along. It’s so important to be true to yourself and really do the things you enjoy, as well as trying new things with this other person and “adding” to your life, not substituting. Your friend and family is everything, don’t give that up. It is true that when you’re in a serious relationship, or perhaps married that you have maybe less time for friends, and it’s hard to do the things that you use to do. Do something about that then, make the time. You are you when you’re with your best friend. You are who you are when you’re with a sibling. Remember how much you actually need that in your life. This is true because you had these friends, and your siblings before this new person that came into your life. I know I have been guilty of this in the past and I see some of my friends (girls and guys) who go through this as well. You tend to hear someone say after a break-up “ I really lost myself in those 3 years I was with him/her,” or you hear “I can’t wait to get back to what I use to love and the things I use to do!” It should never get to that point. Sure it’s easier said than done, but if you think about it, it’s actually pretty simple. Love yourself! You are you because of everything under your shell. Your image is only the surface. Find someone that is going to accept you, appreciate you, love you for exactly who you are, all of you. Be with someone that makes YOU want to be a better person, that pushes you (not change). True happiness will be with someone that not only you can live with, but that you cannot live without. They have to take the good with the bad. Most importantly, know you’re not going to change! In return, you need to know that you also cannot change someone (c’mon girls we know men don’t change). If someone goes into a relationship with things that they would already change about that person, it will not work. This goes for any type of relationship, a friendship, a co-worker, or your family. In the last year, I have learned so much about myself, and relationships from my own experiences and seeing others around me. I truly understand the meaning “do not to change for another person”, to be comfortable in your own skin. Confidence is beauty, and beauty...it's an ATTITUDE! Let your heart feel what your head has been telling you all along. You can’t lose yourself for anyone, because at the end of the day, you only have YOU, and you only have this life to live as YOU, once.

No comments:

Post a Comment