Friday, September 11, 2009

September 11, 2001 - Honor, Courage, Freedom


Today, Friday September 11th, marks the eight anniversary of September 11 terrorist attacks that killed 2,752 people. The loss of friends, family, co-workers, and strangers. "Eight Septembers have come and gone," Obama said. "Nearly 3,000 days have passed, almost one for each one who has been taken from us." Obama laid a wreath of white flowers at the Pentagon this morning, where 184 people lost their lives. In London, England, U.S Ambassador Louis Susman and his wife, laid a wreath at the September 11 Memorial Garden in Governor Square. No one could capture the terror the 40 people aboard Flight 93 must have endured, Powell said. They were strangers to each other who "represented the very best diversity that is America," he said. "In place of fear, they found the courage of attack," he said. "They seized the moment, and they lost their lives in so doing. We are here to ... honor their spirits." People went to bed last night, tossing and turning, knowing that the following day would be the 11th of September. Some people might have tossed and turned for other reasons, they are going through a break up, they lost their job, or maybe recently lost a loved one. But when we all woke up this morning, across the world, not just in the United States, people are feeling the same heart ache. I was walking aside a man today, leaving Gelson's Market, and he was carrying three separate wrapped roses. I thought to myself, they must be for his wife, and I said "Those flowers are beautiful!" He replied "they are for the three girls that work for me." The first word that came to my mind was appreciation. I then thought, is today making him think, and want to express whatever the reason is that he will make them smile this morning? We look back, and can remember where we were that morning, not wanting to believe our eyes and hears. It usually takes something tragic to happen for people to realize what they have, what they have lost. Every year on this day, Americans remember this tragic thing we all went through and we really take a look at our lives and say "Thank You." Thank you for my life today, thank you for my family, thank you for my health. For some people, it hits closer to home today because this day took a loved one, and they are saying "Thank you for getting me through another day, another day of being strong." At the end of today, we are all in this together, and we have to be thankful so many things. Losing a loved one is the hardest part of life. My heart goes out to every person who lost a loved one on 9/11 and my heart goes out even more to every child that lost a parent because I know their pain. I am thankful for what I have today. I am thankful for my family and friends. I am thankful for my freedom and every man and woman that has fought for that freedom. September 11, 2001 was tragic, but we have come so far, and we continue to stay strong as a country, and that, that is Courage.

No comments:

Post a Comment